Performance Series (PS)
At the start of the 2010-2011 school year, students in grades 2-10 began taking the Performance Series (PS) assessments in reading, math, language arts and science. The PS assessments replaced the NWEA (Northwest Evaluation Associations) assessments.
The PS assessments provide quick feedback and clear results to show teachers exactly what students understand and in what areas they need help. The tests also align closely with the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments (MCA) and provide more accurate information to teachers about individual students’ progress toward meeting state standards.
Rather than assessing students only on skills at their enrolled grade level, the PS computer-adaptive assessment adjusts based on student responses to questions, allowing educators to quickly determine a student’s instructional level, independent of his or her enrolled grade level, and provides rich diagnostic information linked to Minnesota state standards. Performance Series serves the following important needs, which are part of the Stillwater Area Public Schools comprehensive assessment program:
- Provides personalized diagnostic achievement information about students, classes and schools.
- Assists in monitoring student growth and progress within and across years.
- Can help in the development of individualized student plans.
- Aids in goal-setting (student, school, district).
- Placement for Title I and the other remedial programs.
- Assists with determination of special education needs.