Free & Reduced Price Meals

Receive nutritious school meals at a free or reduced price and help our schools receive education funds and discounts

Families MUST fill out a new application for benefits each school year. The 2013 -14 application for Education Benefits is available below.

Cover letter and application are also available as follows: 

  • For pick-up at Stillwater Area Schools Central Service Building, 1875 South Greeley Street, Stillwater, MN after August 1, 2013;

  • For pick-up at school offices after August 1, 2013;

  • Included in the District Handbook, which is mailed to all households in August.

Frequently Asked Questions About Free & Reduced Price Meals

Do I have to fill out the Application for Educational Benefits?

No. You do not have to fill out this application unless you want to apply for free or reduced-price meals for your children (or to assist the school to qualify for additional educational funds and discounts).

Who can get free or reduced-price meals?
Children can get free or reduced-price school meals if the total household income is within the limits shown in the letter that is with the Application for Educational Benefits. Children in households receiving MFIP, Food Stamp, and FDPIR benefits and foster children can get free meals regardless of household income. Children in households receiving WIC benefits may qualify for free or reduced-price meals.

Will my children be treated differently if they receive free or reduced-price meals?
No. Your children will not be identified or treated differently from children who pay full price for meals.

How is the privacy of my information protected?
The information you provide on the Application for Educational Benefits is private data. Also, the information that a child has been approved for free or reduced-price meals is private data. Your information will be used only as specifically allowed in law - please read the back page of the Application for Educational Benefits for details. Your information will not be used for any other purposes unless you provide written consent.

Who should I include as members of my household?
To apply for free or reduced-price meals based on your household income, you must include all adults and children in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, and friends). To apply for children who receive MFIP, Food Stamps, or FDPIR benefits, or for foster children, you do not have to provide information about other household members.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. Citizen?
Yes. You do not have to be a U.S. citizen to get free or reduced-price school meals.

Do I report my income before deductions (gross income)?
Yes. The only time that you should not report gross income is for farm or other self-employment income, which should be reported as a net income after business expenses. However, a business loss must be treated as a zero income - a business loss cannot be subtracted from other income.

What if my income last month was more or less than normal?
List the amount that you normally get.

Will the information be checked?
Yes, we may ask you to send written proof of the information you give or we may check the information you give - please read the back page of the Application for Educational Benefits for details. Information you provide on the application may be compared against data from state agencies such as the MN Departments of Human Services, Economic Security, and Revenue.