Once Upon a Mattress is a musical comedy with music by Mary Rodgers, lyrics by Marshall Barer, and book by Jay Thompson, Dean Fuller, and Marshall Barer. Once Upon a Mattress is presented through special arrangement with R&H Theatricals: www.mh.com. The play was written as an adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale The Princess and the Pea.
Due to an unhappy curse, the Queen, has taken over control of the kingdom. Most importantly, in an attempt to keep Prince Dauntless single, she has decreed that only the princess that can pass her test may marry her son. Further, no one else in the kingdom may marry until Prince Dauntless does. Luckily, Winifred the Woebegone, an amazing candidate, is found. She instantly catches the attention of Prince Dauntless, and in the end, is able to pass the Queen's supposedly impassable sensitivity test. The curse is now lifted and all is well in the kingdom. The role of Winifred made a star of Carol Burnett and was last played on Broadway by Sarah Jessica Parker.
Auditions: May 18th & 20th at Stillwater Area High School
More information below!
July 21-23 at 7:00 pm & July 24 at 2:00 pm
Location: Stillwater Junior High Auditorium
Tickets will be ON SALE June 6th, 2016
- Performances of “Once Upon a Mattress” will be held Thursday July 21st, Friday July 22nd, Saturday July 23rd at 7:00pm and Sunday July 24th at 2:00pm
- Rehearsals will begin June 6th, Monday through Friday evenings from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM and go until 9:30 PM after July 4th. (We may also have Saturday morning/afternoon rehearsals as well).
- Rehearsal commitment will be based on the size and demands of each role and age of the actor. You will not be required to be at every rehearsal. Actors will receive a rehearsal schedule based on cast availability at the first rehearsal.
- Tech week, (adding in the orchestra and technical elements to the show) is July 16 through 20.
- There will be no rehearsal during the July 4th weekend.
- Absolutely no rehearsal conflicts will be accepted after July 11th.
ACTING AUDITION INFORMATION
ROLES - Once Upon A Mattress Character Descriptions:
- Minstrel - The narrator of the story, as well as in the musical story line. He becomes smitten with Lady Larken and tries to persuade her to flee to Normandy with him. He and the Jester join forces to stop the Queen's plans. tenor
- Princess No. 12 - She is the first Princess that the audience sees who is performing the rounds of tests. Very eager, smart, thinks well on her feet – of course the Prince wants to marry her.
- Wizard - The egotistical, ex-performer who directly serves the Queen. He is the Queen’s Henchman and thinks of all the Princess’ tests. He prides himself in his position and basically obeys all of the Queen’s orders. baritone
- Lady Larken - Is the Queen’s Lady-in-Waiting but is put in charge of Princess Winnifred. She is madly in love with Sir Harry and desperately wants to marry him because she is pregnant with his baby. She tries to flee the Kingdom after having an argument with Sir Harry, but is convinced by Winnifred to reunite with him. soprano
- Queen Aggravain - The loud, talkative woman who really rules the country. She is an overprotective, stubborn, sly Mom who is trying to keep her son, Prince Dauntless, from getting married. alto
- Prince Dauntless - A nice, naieve, everyday type of young Prince who desperately wants to get married, but is prevented by his mother's strict tests that she gives to all potential candidates. baritone
- King Sextimus the Silent - A kind, expressive, playful, and comedic character who is silent due to a curse placed upon him by a witch before the birth of Dauntless. He likes to chase women through the corridors of the castle. Needs good improv and pantomime skills.
- Jester - An energetic and peppy right-hand man to the King and assists him with every endeavor. The Jester also plots with the Minstrel to spoil the Queen's plans. tenor
- Sir Harry - He is the Queen’s Champion-in-Arms - the Lancelot of Knights - the macho, slightly egotistical, brave, romantic knight who decides to leave the kingdom to search for a princess, and finds Princess Winnifred in the swamp. Easily jealous, but loves Lady Larken with all his heart. Harry cannot marry Lady Larken until Prince Dauntless has found a suitable bride. tenor
- Princess Winnifred the Woebegone - A feisty, outspoken, independent, strong, optimistic, and free-thinking princess from the swamp lands. She isn’t too good with lady-like manners. She wants to get married, but must go through the queen's unfair test as well. The Prince, naturally, falls madly in love with her. Mezzo - good belt
- Sir Studley - A member of the court who dances.
- Lady Mabelle - She’s French and doesn’t understand English to well – she just tends to say “Yes” a lot.
- Nightingale of Smarkand - A royal pet that sings a lullaby to put Winnifred to sleep.
- Ensemble: The Ladies-in-Waiting and Knights and are all waiting for the Prince to get married so that THEY can get married to each other. These are character roles and are not just part of the chorus. Queen’s Ladies-in-waiting: Lady Rowena, Lady Merrill, Lady Lucille, Lady Helena, Lady Sarah Knights: Sir Luce, Sir Russell, Sir Michael, Sir Humphrey Kitchen Wench: A woman chased around the castle by King Sextimus, Emily (chambermaid), Soliders, Servants, Musicians
ORCHESTRA PIT AUDITION INFORMATION
We are pleased to announce the addition of a community member full orchestra pit. Participation is open to individuals ages high school and above. If you are interested in auditioning please email Zach Sawyer at
VOLUNTEERING* AT THE STILLWATER AREA COMMUNITY THEATRE (SACT)
The Stillwater Area Community Theatre depends on volunteers to assist in all aspects of the production, onstage and behind the scenes. Below are some ideas about ways you can get involved. Previous experience is not necessary. If you are interested in volunteering for the Stillwater Area Community Theatre please sign up here!
Some of the many you can volunteer your time and talents:
- Box Office
- Stage Manager/Assistant Stage Manager
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Hair Designers and Make-Up Artists
- Costume Seamstresses
- Hand properties and Set Dressers
- Set Construction, Painters, and Teardown
- Light Board and Spot Light Operation
- Mics and Sound Board Operation
- Backstage Crew
- “Kid Wranglers”
- Orchestra Pit Member
- Audition Helper
- Marketing and Publicity
- Ad Sales
- Running errands
- Any ideas you may have!
Stillwater Area Community Theatre (SACT)