Once Upon a Mattress is a musical comedy with music by Mary Rodgers, lyrics by Marshall Barer, and book by Jay Thompson, Dean Fuller, and Marshall Barer. Once Upon a Mattress is presented through special arrangement with R&H Theatricals: www.rnh.com. The play was written as an adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale The Princess and the Pea.
Due to an unhappy curse, the Queen, has taken over control of the kingdom. Most importantly, in an attempt to keep Prince Dauntless single, she has decreed that only the princess that can pass her test may marry her son. Further, no one else in the kingdom may marry until Prince Dauntless does. Luckily, Winifred the Woebegone, an amazing candidate, is found. She instantly catches the attention of Prince Dauntless, and in the end, is able to pass the Queen's supposedly impassable sensitivity test. The curse is now lifted and all is well in the kingdom. The role of Winifred made a star of Carol Burnett and was last played on Broadway by Sarah Jessica Parker.
July 21 at 7:00 pm
July 22 at 7:00 pm
July 23 at 7:00 pm
July 24 at 2:00 pm
Different Location for 2016:
Stillwater Junior High Auditorium
523 Marsh St W
Stillwater, MN 55082
A full list of cast members can be viewed here.
ORCHESTRA PIT AUDITION INFORMATION
We are pleased to announce the addition of a community member full orchestra pit. Participation is open to individuals ages high school and above. If you are interested in auditioning please email Zach Sawyer at
- Performances of “Once Upon a Mattress” will be held Thursday July 21st, Friday July 22nd, Saturday July 23rd at 7:00pm and Sunday July 24th at 2:00pm
- Rehearsals will begin June 6th, Monday through Friday evenings from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM and go until 9:30 PM after July 4th. (We may also have Saturday morning/afternoon rehearsals as well).
- Rehearsal commitment will be based on the size and demands of each role andage of the actor. You will not be required to be at every rehearsal. Actors will receive a rehearsal schedule based on cast availability at the first rehearsal.
- Tech week, (adding in the orchestra and technical elements to the show) is July 16 through 20.
- There will be no rehearsal during the July 4th weekend.
- Absolutely no rehearsal conflicts will be accepted after July 11th.
VOLUNTEERING* AT THE STILLWATER AREA COMMUNITY THEATRE (SACT)
The Stillwater Area Community Theatre depends on volunteers to assist in all aspects of the production, onstage and behind the scenes. Below are some ideas about ways you can get involved. Previous experience is not necessary. If you are interested in volunteering for the Stillwater Area Community Theatre please sign up here!
Some of the many you can volunteer your time and talents:
- Box Office
- Stage Manager/Assistant Stage Manager
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Hair Designers and Make-Up Artists
- Costume Seamstresses
- Hand properties and Set Dressers
- Set Construction, Painters, and Teardown
- Light Board and Spot Light Operation
- Mics and Sound Board Operation
- Backstage Crew
- “Kid Wranglers”
- Orchestra Pit Member
- Audition Helper
- Marketing and Publicity
- Ad Sales
- Running errands
- Any ideas you may have!
Stillwater Area Community Theatre (SACT)